We can do better
- NL has the 2nd highest personal tax burden in the country.
- We have the highest gas tax in the country.
- We have the highest tax on insurance in the country.
- Most NLers pay a higher portion of their salary in income tax than they would in other provinces.
- We have the highest per person government program spending in Canada.
- We spend 27% more per person on hospitals than an avg province, but our health outcomes lag behind.
- Wages in NL’s core gov’t are 29% higher than the Atlantic Canadian average – $311 a week higher.